- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped leek, white part only
- 3 cups chopped Braeburn (or other tart) apple
- 3 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped russet potato
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded Cheddar cheese
- Shredded fresh basil, optional
Recipe courtesy of Frank Turner, chef with the Matt Prentice Restaurant Group in Detroit, Mich.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add leeks; sauté 5 minutes. Add apples; cook until they just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, potatoes, sherry and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and squash are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add orange juice, honey, salt, nutmeg, curry and pepper. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender or food processor and purée (in batches if necessary). Return soup to saucepan and add half-and-half. Heat thoroughly over low heat. Do not boil. Place soup in serving bowls; top each with 1 tablespoon cheese and basil.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: