- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 4 ounces chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 12-cup muffin tins, or line with papers.
- Combine peanut butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat until light and fluffy.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar in mixing bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Pour in melted chocolate and beat until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture and beat to combine. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Fill muffin tins half full with batter. Spoon about 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter mixture on top of batter (don't spread). Spoon remaining batter over peanut butter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until tops spring back when touched. (Note: The normal toothpick test for doneness won't work due to the filling.) Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, combine cream cheese, butter and peanut butter in a bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Frost tops of cupcakes when they are completely cool.
Recipe by Jennifer Perillo.