- 16 medium to large ripe, but firm, heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Recipe by Teresa Blackburn.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut an X in the bottom of each tomato and place on parchment with X side up.
- Roast tomatoes 20 to 30 minutes, until skin begins to pull away at the X. Remove pan from oven and let tomatoes cool.
- When cool enough to handle, core each tomato and peel skin away from meat of tomato using a sharp knife. Work over a large nonreactive bowl to catch juices.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes in bowl using knife or scissors, or squish with your hands. Add basil, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Label clean glass jars, freezer boxes or bags. Fill containers two-thirds full with sauce; seal or close and place in freezer up to 6 months. Makes about 12 cups, depending on size of tomatoes.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: