- 1 1/3 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers (about 42)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 8 cups hulled strawberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Whipped cream (optional)
Recipe adapted from Jim Fobel’s
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine wafer crumbs, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and butter; press into a 9-inch pie dish. Bake for 10 minutes or until set and barely beginning to brown. Cool.
- Quarter 2 cups strawberries and combine with 2 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat while mashing strawberries. Cook about 2 minutes or until very juicy. Push mashed berries through a sieve, pressing with a spoon and discarding solids that remain. Measure juice and add water to measure 1 cup.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in strawberry juice and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Boil 1 minute or until translucent. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Place 1/3 of the remaining berries in pie shell; drizzle with 1/3 of glaze. Repeat twice. Chill 2 hours or until set. Serve cold with whipped cream, if desired.
Old-Fashioned Baking Book: Recipes from an American Childhood (Lake Isle Press, 1995).
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: