- 1 pound Swiss chard, ends trimmed and stems and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon frehsly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or a 2 1/2-quart gratin dish.
- Rinse chard and place in a large pot with water clinging to leaves. Cover and cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Melt butter in a medium saucepan; whisk in flour. Add milk and broth; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in baking dish. Top with chard and half the sauce. Cover with remaining potatoes and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: