- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup farro (wheat berries)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus additional broth as necessary
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes (1/2 inch)
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 (2-inch) piece of Parmigiano cheese rind
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 cups coarsely chopped green kale
- Grated Parmigiano cheese
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add farro and stir to coat. Add broth, squash, tomatoes, cheese rind, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and farro is cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir in kale and simmer 2 minutes. Discard cheese rind. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: