- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 1/2 cups fresh Satsuma, tangerine or orange juice, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup finely grated tangerine or orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
—Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine cracker crumbs and butter; toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom of a 9-inch pie pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes; cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 375F.
- Whisk egg yolks, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup juice in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Combine remaining juice, sugar, cornstarch and zest in a medium saucepan; whisk in egg yolk mixture. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Pour into crust.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl with a mixer at high speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Beat in confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread meringue over warm pie, sealing to crust's edges.
- Bake until lightly browned and set, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack before serving.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: